This morning the baking bugs bit me again and I thought of making some easy and simple moist cupcakes using the cream cheese leftover in my fridge. I first discovered the original cupcake recipe from a baking group on Facebook sometime ago but I could not remember which one. On another unrelated note, Naomi decided to act super clingy when I was halfway preparing the cake batter so I had to carry her whilst making the cupcake batter. So Moms, perhaps it is a good idea to get busy in the kitchen when your kids are napping or something.
Anyway, what I made earlier today was Chocolate Vanilla Marble Cupcakes because I simply thought plain vanilla cupcakes would be too boring.
Starting my weekend with a basket full of cupcakes!
Here's the modified recipe that I used for making my cupcakes today:
Chocolate Vanilla Marble Cupcakes
- 130gr Cream cheese, at room temperature
- 150gr Unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150-180gr Fine sugar, depends on the sweetness you want to achieve
- Few drops of Vanilla extract
- 3 Big eggs
- 220gr Self-raising flour
- 1tbs Milk powder, optional
- 2 tbs Cocoa powder, sifted
- Sift together flour and milk powder, set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla extract until creamy by using high-speed electric mixer.
- Add eggs one by one into the batter and mix well.
- Fold the sifted flour into the cake batter by using spatula until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, pour some of the white cake batter to the cocoa powder and mix well.
- Alternately spoon the white and chocolate batter into cupcake moulds/liners and make swirl on the cupcakes by using a skewer or toothpick. Don't fill too much batter into the cupcake liners or they will overflow as they bake.
- Bake the cupcakes in a preheated oven at 180 degree Celcius for about 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.
** This recipe makes more than about a dozen of cupcakes or slightly more.
The inside of the marble cupcakes.
The above recipe (minus the cocoa powder) is actually a vanilla pound cake recipe but it can be turned into cupcakes, if you want to. I have tested this adaptable recipe two weeks ago by adding some fresh lemon juice and rind into the cake batter. The lemon cupcakes I made tasted yummy but sadly they didn't look pretty because I poured too much batter in the cupcake liners. You can always get creative with this basic cupcake recipe by making lemon cupcakes, orange cupcakes, chocolate cupcakes, cupcakes with fruit jam, etc.