When my Mom was here last week, she was fully in-charge of cooking Naomi's daily solid menu which normally consists of soupy dish with vegetable and meat (beef/chicken/fish) and soft steamed rice (rice which is cooked with more water than the usual measurement). I didn't have to sweat a thing when my Mom was here and honestly, could not be bothered of thinking what food I should feed Naomi with as my Mom took care of everything.
Now that my Mom is back to Indonesia, I
This afternoon, I fed Naomi with stir-fry beef and tofu with steamed rice. For her dinner main dish, I came up with an impromptu idea of making silky steamed egg. Steamed eggs are actually common dish that we order when we dine at Chinese restaurant, so this dish is not particularly for kids but adults can enjoy it too. I googled the recipe for steamed eggs and quickly followed this super duper easy recipe.
Here's the recipe of the steamed egg that I made for Naomi today. This recipe uses only one egg and appropriate for single serving. If you intend to make bigger portion of this steamed eggs, just use multiply the stated ingredients below.
First attempt in making steamed egg.
Silky Smooth Steamed Egg(s)
- 1 Egg
- 2.5 Halved egg shells of cooled boiled water
- Light soy sauce, to taste
- Sesame oil, to taste
- Chopped scallion, to garnish (optional)
- Beat egg and water in a bowl by using a fork.
- Strain the egg and water mixture by using a sieve into a steam-proof bowl.
- Place the dish in a hot steamer for about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped scallion on top of the dish and steam again for another 5 minutes.
- Once the steamed egg is fully cooked or firm (check by gently shaking the dish), remove the dish from the steamer.
- Top the steamed egg with a dash of soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
My toddler's dinner.
To my surprise, Naomi finished her steamed egg, some beef floss and a small bowl of steamed rice this evening; hence a happy Mommy I became. I always feel so accomplished whenever my girl finishes the food that I painstakingly prepare for her. Do you feel the same way when your kids eat all the food you cook?
Anyway, back to the steamed eggs topic, you can also add (cooked) chopped shrimps or meat together with scallions to garnish this dish.