This said, I headed to my kitchen and started baking some cookies which I had not done for a pretty long time. Suddenly, I thought of making cookie in button shape because I found cookies in button shape really adorable and doable for me to create. Also, inspired by the beautiful colour of Neapolitan ice cream, I chose the Neapolitan theme for these cookies - chocolate, pink and white. Neapolitan Button Cookies are our cookies for the day.
To make these butter button cookies, I modified the basic egg-less butter cookies recipe from this source. Anyway, you can use any basic butter cookies recipes you already have on hand to make these cute cookies.
Here is the recipe I used for making my Neapolitan Button Cookies today.
Cute as a button, they say!
Neapolitan Button Cookies
- 125gr Unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 80gr Icing sugar
- 150gr Flour
- 1 tbs Milk powder
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1 tbs Cocoa powder
- 1-2 drops of Chocolate essence
- 1-2 drops of Strawberry essence
- Red food colouring, as needed
- Sift icing sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
- Sift together flour and milk powder. Set aside.
- Using electric mixer, mix the icing sugar, vanilla essence and butter until pale and creamy.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and mix well using a rubber spatula until the dough doesn't stick to the bowl.
- Divide the dough into 3 parts in 3 separate bowl. Leave 1/3 of the plain dough aside for the white button cookies.
- Evenly mix 1/3 of the dough with cocoa powder and chocolate essence. Set aside.
- Evenly mix 1/3 of the dough with strawberry essence and red colouring. Set aside.
- Mould the dough into equal round shape and place the cookies in a tray already lined with a parchment paper.
- Add an inner ring to each of the cookie by gently pressing a bottle cap or round shape cookie cutter slightly smaller than the cookies' size. Poke 4 button holes into each cookie with skewer or small straw.
- Bake the cookies in a preheated oven (about 160 degree Celcius) for about 15-20 minutes.
Neapolitan butter button cookies.
These cookies are so easy to bake and I enjoyed making them. It only took me about 1.5 hours in total to make the cookie dough, mould the cookies, baked them and cleaned my kitchen. I don't really fancy doing the latter tough - but somehow I keep making mess in my kitchen on daily basis.
Finally, I think anything in button shapes are so cute but this law strictly doesn't apply to Coraline's. Google it if you want to know what I mean.