Yesterday, I suddenly had a nostalgic moment thinking of the nice dishes that my Mom used to cook for us and I thought of cooking my Mom's Beef and Bell Pepper Stir-Fry. I asked her how to cook this dish via SMS and after I got her reply last night, I practised cooking it for today's lunch.
All-time favourite Beef and Bell Pepper Stir-Fry.
Beef and Bell Pepper Stir-Fry
- 100-150gr Beef, thinly sliced
- 1 Bell pepper, seeds removed and sliced
- 4 cloves Garlic, mashed
- 1/2 Onion, sliced
- 2-3 tbs Shaoxing wine
- 2-3 tbs Oyster sauce
- 2-3 tbs Light soy sauce
- 1-2 tbs Sugar
- 1 tbs Starch
- Pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Cooking oil
- Some water
- In a bowl, marinate beef with shaoxing wine, oyster sauce, light soy sauce, sugar and starch. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a skillet or wok. Sauté garlic and onion until fragrant.
- Add the marinated beef into the wok and mix well with sautéed garlic and onion.
- Add the bell pepper slices.
- Add some water and season the dish with liberal amount of pepper and salt. Add more light soy sauce, oyster sauce and sugar into the dish, if needed.
- Continue cooking the beef and bell pepper slices until they are tender.
- Serve warm with steamed rice.
This dish is easy and fast to cook but surely tastes delicious. If you eat beef and don't mind the taste of bell pepper, you should try this dish. Beef and bell pepper taste really good when paired. My husband who never ate this dish before loves it at first bite!
On another not so related note, my husband could not help wondering the fact that I normally hate bell pepper but am suddenly in love bell pepper when it is cooked with beef like this.
Women. Complicated and hard to understand.