Here's the modified recipe that I used to bake my lemon cake today.
My first attempt in baking lemon chocolate swirl butter cake.
Lemon Chocolate Swirl Cake
- 125gr Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 125gr Margarine
- 180gr Sugar
- 5 Eggs
- 250gr Flour
- 1.5 tsp Baking powder
- 80ml Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- Squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- Orange or yellow food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 160 degree Celcius. Sieve flour and baking powder, set aside.
- Cream butter, margarine and sugar until light and fluffy using high-speed electric mixer, scraping the side of the bowl occasionally.
- Add eggs into the cake batter one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla essence, fresh lemon juice and grated lemon rind into the cake batter.
- Fold the flour mixture and milk into the cake batter in three batches, using rubber spatula.
- Divide cake batter into two portions: Plain portion and another portion with few drops of orange or yellow food colouring.
- Spoon few dollops of both cake batters in a greased and lined baking pan. Dust it with cocoa powder using a sifter. Repeat the same methods for the rest of the cake batter.
- Tap the baking pan on kitchen counter's top for few times to even out the batter.
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake's centre comes clean.
- Once done, remove the cake from oven and let it cool for 5 minutes before serving it.
Citrusy soft cake.
This cake is soft, fragrant and not so sweet. I used loaf pan to bake this cake but I ended baking two loaves of this cake as one loaf pan cannot contain the above cake batter. Therefore, one loaf of this cake will go to my Mother-in-Law later today.
When my husband was eating a slice of this cake, suddenly he stopped and said, "Hey, this cake is nice. You might want to keep the recipe." I grinned.