This morning, I was itchy to bake a marble cake, as a little Sunday treat, for my husband and myself. However, this time around I didn't really want a pound cake. I wanted a marble cake with softer and fluffy texture. Pound cake has dense and heavy textures that often make you drink some water after few bites. I browsed several marble cake recipes in the internet and from my observation, most of the recipes are pound cake recipes. This said, I had to modify the marble pound cake recipe a little bit to achieve a softer marble cake texture.
With the grand idea of making a soft marble cake in my head, which would probably require a lot of eggs, to my surprise, I only found two eggs available in our kitchen! I was like, WOW!, what would I do with only two eggs to get a softer marble cake result? Even the half recipe stated in the internet would require a little more than two eggs, I reckon.
Hence, true enough, I had to quickly work a recipe out, on my own, to create a softer texture marble cake with only two eggs (while my husband was making a nice Spaghetti Bolognese for our Sunday lunch). Guess what, about an hour later, the marble cake recipe that I created turned out to be a major success! My husband loved it! The cake was so fragrant, buttery (but not greasy) and crispy in the outside but really soft in the inside. The only minor drawback was probably the fact that the cake was a little too thin even though I used a loaf pan for this. But seriously, I couldn't do much with only two eggs for the cake batter.
Simple and soft Chocolate Marble Cake I made today.
So, without further ado, here's the marble cake that I created today. To make a taller marble cake, simply double or triple up the amounts of the stated ingredients below.
Simple and Soft Chocolate Marble Cake
- 70gr Granulated sugar
- 80gr Unsalted butter, at room temperature.
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Eggs
- 60 gr Flour
- 1 tbsp Milk powder
- A dash of baking powder
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder (I used Hershey's)
- Line the base of the cake pan with parchment paper. Thinly grease the side parts of the cake pan with margarine. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 150 degree Celcius.
- Mix the flour, milk powder and baking powder in a dry bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the sugar, vanilla extract and butter until soft.
- Slowly add the eggs onto the butter mixture and keep on mixing with high-speed electric mixer until the batter is well incorporated.
- Slowly fold the flour mix into the cake batter with spatula until it's well incorporated.
- Take about three spoons of the cake batter, put it in a separate bowl and incorporate it with the cocoa powder.
- Pour the white cake batter into the lined cake pan. Add the chocolate cake batter on top and create pattern with a chopstick.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
A really nice marble cake with only two eggs!
The inside look of the soft marble cake I made today.
I would probably experiment with this recipe again for more marble cake bakes in the future. This simple marble cake just made my Sunday! *going downstairs to munch some marble cake now*