For this year's CNY, I am determined to bake some CNY goodies like last year because I didn't get to do so for Christmas. My husband requested some classic CNY cookies like pineapple tarts, peanut cookies and such... So let's see if I can pull all the bakes in the coming weekend.
As a head start in ushering the arrival of Monkey Year, last night I baked my first CNY sweet snacks, Honey Joys - which I don't think I had ever tasted before. I saw someone posted a video of making these cute sweet and golden cornflake snacks on Facebook and I thought of trying to make some too. While I thought I had all the ingredients ready in my kitchen to produce some Honey Joys.. Turned out, I didn't have enough cornflakes and small cupcake cases. Luckily, my husband managed to buy me some cornflakes and cupcake cases on his way back home from work and I could still run my somewhat impromptu Honey Joys project as intended.
Here is the recipe of the easy Honey Joys that I made last night:
50gr Unsalted butter
2 tbs Honey
1/2 tbs Vanilla extract
3 cups Cornflakes, gently crushed into smaller pieces
1. In small fire, melt butter. Add sugar and honey in and mix well until everything is dissolved but not burnt.
2. Turn the fire off. Stir in the vanilla extract.
3. Pour the cornflakes to the melted butter mixture and gently combine everything.
4. Spoon the cornflakes (now should be a bit sticky and glossy) to small cupcake cases.
5. Sprinkle the tops of the honey joys with chocolate rice or rainbow sprinkles.
6. Bake the honey joys in a preheated oven (150-160 degree Celcius) for 10-12 minutes.
Honey Joys ready to go to the hot oven.
7. Cool the honey joys completely then store them in airtight containers.
** The above recipe yields about 2.5 jars of Honey Joys.
I regret I didn't buy any rainbow sprinkles when I went to the baking supply shop two days ago . I had to use chocolate rice to decorate my Honey Joys and they don't look as merry as rainbow sprinkles would! Nevertheless, the Honey Joys are still yum!
Oh ya.. I didn't involve Naomi in making the Honey Joys last night because it was getting late and I just wanted to finish everything fast.. Plus, my little critter was busy watching cartoons upstairs and refused to come down.